Saturday, November 25, 2006

A major milestone.

After six years with R, I finally met his family yesterday. Those of you who know me have probably heard me talk about how R's mother has shown no interest in meeting me over the years despite multiple efforts by R. But that all changed yesterday. Too bad that it had to be at his grandfather's funeral, but I was touched that his mom said that I should come.

So instead of turkey and pumpkin pie, my Thanksgiving was spent at a funeral home dressed in head-to-toe black surrounded by mourners crying for man I have never met. The feeling of gratitude that I experienced, however, was appropriate for the day. Thankful to R's grandfather for bringing R's family together for a day. Thankful to R's relatives for molding and shaping him into the person he is today. And thankful to R's mother, brother, and sister for being so welcoming of me on what must have been a very sad day for them. It meant a lot to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deena, I'm glad it all went well. Love to hear about everything and sincerely hope we don't have to wait 'till U2 to catch up!!!

Big hug,
Tari

Mayuko said...

I am so happy (this sounds a bit wrong...for a funeral) that you finally got to meet her!!!

Gina said...

I'm so sorry you and R had to cancel the trip. But I am happy to hear you got to meet your in-laws. And it sounds like your mil and sil and bil were pretty nice! I'm so happy to hear that. : )

 
template by suckmylolly.com